From the inception of OUR SAVIOUR’S CHURCH it had a unique character of attracting worshippers of all races from all corners of the globe. It is still so today. All who yearn for the Lord have always been welcomed, thus fulfilling the call for all faithful people to come and worship.
This Church was formerly called St. Saviour’s Colonial Church. The records of the Colonial Church contain a long note describing a service first held for the purpose of dedicating the Hall in King’s College for divine service on December 22, 1909 with Bishop Tugwell, Bishop Oluwole and Revd. L.S. Noble, the newly appointed colonial Chaplain being in attendance. Regular services were apparently held there until December 24, 1911, when there was another note to say that Revd. Noble dedicated or set aside for public worship, the half-built Colonial Church on the present site.
In 1923, the status of the Church was changed by the St. Saviour’s church Council (incorporated Act No. 2 of 1923 Cap 35) of the Federation of Nigeria.
The completion has been made necessary partly by the increased congregation and partly by the need for certain repairs which owing to their cost would have prevented any further work being done for many years. The Church was eventually completed at a cost of One Thousand, Five Hundred Pounds and consecrated on ADVENT SUNDAY, 27TH NOVEMBER, 1932 by Rt. Reverend Frank Melville Jones, the then Anglican Lord Bishop of Lagos. The Chaplain of the Church then was Revd. R.A Wright.
After the consecration, the congregation remained mostly Europeans even though it was not the Church’s policy to keep Nigerians out. The last British Governor-General, Sir James Robertson worshipped there. His presence was the last link of the Church officialdom. In those days, the Church service never commenced until Sir James Robertson was seated.
Gradually however, the number of Nigerian worshippers started to increase. They were mainly senior civil servants, members of the Bar and Bench. A prominent member of the Church, Madam Bisi Olaleye started worshipping at St. Saviour’s Church from 1936. Some Nigerians became members of the Choir which at that time was dedicated and fully committed. “Their music was irresistible, backed up by a melodious Pipe Organ”. Pa Akin Phillip Olaomo- a 75 year old member of the Church who started worshipping at the Church in 1947, remarked that the music was “so solemn, cool and serene that you felt that Jesus was hovering around”
It was however, during Revd. J.J. Payne’s tenure as Chaplain (from 1962) that the number of Nigerians in the congregation increased substantially. Revd. Payne, who started as a tutor at Igbobi College , Lagos, was installed by the Bishop of Lagos, Rt. Revd. Adelakun Howells. During this period, the 7.15am Mid-week Communion Service was introduced. The family service and Home Bible Study Fellowship followed. The 7.00pm evening service was still in place.
Since the departure of Revd. Canon Payne in 1986, the Church has shepherded by Revd. S.B. Akinola (now Venerable) (1986 -1993), Revd. George Bako (now Retired Bishop of the Diocese of Lokoja) (1993 -1994), Ven. J. Akin Odejide (now Bishop) (1994 -2007) and the present incumbent, Ven. S. Igein Isemede. In 1991, the name of the Church was changed from St. Saviour’s to OUR SAVIOUR’S CHURCH.
During the tenure of this indigenous Vicar, the church has blossomed into full activity to fulfill the spiritual needs of the congregation. As at today, there are sixteen different working ministries and fellowships to which every member of the congregation is encouraged to belong. These include: Prayer Fellowship, Bible Study, Evangelical Ministry, Social Welfare, Hospital Visiting/ Church Clinic, Youth Fellowship, Children Rehabilitation Ministry, Sunday School, Counselling, Guild of Stewards, Girls Guild, Mother’s Union and Women’s Guild, Music Ministry (Choir), business Fellowship and Elderly Fellowship. In year 2007, the Men’s Christian Fellowship was added to the list.
These Fellowships and Ministries have activities lined up from Mondays to Saturdays. The number of services have increased to accommodate each worshipper’s schedule and spiritual need. On Sundays, there are 8.00am Early Communion Service with Sunday School for Children and a Youth Church which started in year 2008, 11.00am. Mattins with Children Sunday School, 6.00pm. Evensong, and House Fellowship in various centres. On Wednesday 7.15am. Mid-week Communion.
The foundation of an enlarged Our Saviour’s Church building with capacity for 1200 worshipers was laid in 1995 and dedication on the 9th September, 1999. This enlarged and air-conditioned Church with worshipper- friendly interior decoration has attracted many worshippers and has since its dedication, been a place of building lives. Shortly after the tenth anniversary of the new building, the Archbishop dedicated a new Church Hall which also incorporates residential accommodation for some Church functionaries. Right now, a 3-manual, 41 stops Pipe-Organ has been installed in the church from the UK.